I LOVE Mac N Cheese. It’s one of my comfort food and my girls just love it. Try this inventive Cauliflower Pumpkin Casserole instead of plain old (and not-so-good for you) mac and cheese.
It has some of my favorite flavors of Mac N Cheese, but in a much healthier all-veggie casserole.
The combination of roasted cauliflower, which gets nutty and sweet as it cooks, and a creamy cheddar cheese and pumpkin sauce gives it all the comfort of a cheesy casserole without the fat!
- 1 large cauliflower , cut into florets
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground white pepper (to taste; optional)
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Place cauliflower on baking sheet that has been lightly coated with spray. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake for 24 to 28 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- While cauliflower is cooking, bring almond milk to a boil in medium saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add cheese, pumpkin, and mustard; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended.
- Add cauliflower; mix well.
- Pour cauliflower minute into 8 x 8-inch casserole dish that has been lightly coated with spray.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.