I love Mexican food, being part mexican it is what I grew up on. However, most of the meals are really not healthy so it doesn’t fit into my healthy lifestyle. I’m always looking for ways to lighten up the calorie count. These turkey tostadas are not only healthy, but super delicious.
With normal tostadas the tortilla is fried in oil, but in this lightened up version they are sprayed with just a little oil and then baked until crispy, so you still get the crunch you are craving. We are also using lean ground turkey instead of groud beef since it is healthier and lighter.
When I found the 21 Day Fix portion control containers I knew they were a life changer. Not only did I not have to cut out some of my favorite food (HELLO CARBS) but I still got to eat a TON of food. In fact, I find that I sometimes struggle to eat all the food I’m supposed to.
What’s even better is that I have amazing challengers in my challenge group. We share amazing recipes, support each other, and help each other through the hardest days. They are part of the reason I stick with my programs and check in everyday with my nutrition. It really is amazing how accountability can help keep you on track and sticking with your goals.
On to the turkey tostadas…
Total Time: 13 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cooking Time: 8 min.
Serves: 4 servings
Container Count: 1/2 Green, 1/2 Red, 1 1/2 Yellow, 1 Blue
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup tomatillo salsa
- 1½ cups shredded roasted turkey breast (approximately 7 oz.)
- 2 cups finely shredded leaf lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ medium ripe avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with spray. Place tortillas in single layer on two large baking sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
- While tortillas are baking, heat salsa in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until turkey is evenly coated and heated through.
- To serve, place a tortilla on each serving plate. Top evenly with lettuce, turkey mixture, onion, cheese, and avocado.