If you are read through any of my other recpies, you know I am a HUGE fan of Mexican food. My mother is part mexican, so I grew up cooking and eating it. However, most of it is fried and slathered in cheese. So when I found this recipe for Turkey Tamale Pie, I knew I had to try it.
This is healtheir because you are making your own corn meal mixture, so you can control how much cheese is in it. You are also cooking it in water and not milk which is how my mother used to make it.
Feel free to use add more veggies in it. The second time I make this recipe I added mushrooms and an extra pepper and it was just a tastey. Just add those veggies when you are cooking the rest of them.
I love that the Turkey Tamale Pie is 21 day fix approved, but it also works with other programs like 22 Min Hard Corps. or Core De Force since you are getting protein, healthy carbs, and healthy fats. All of which you need for a balanced diet and to help you loose weight.
Turkey Tamale Pie:
Total Time: 1 hr. 31 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr. 11 min.
Servings: 8 servings
Portion Control Containers: 1 Green, 1/2 Red, 1 Blue, 1/2 Yellow
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 (15½-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, no sugar added
- 1 Tbsp. ground chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- Coconut Oil cooking spray
- 2½ cups water, hot
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeds and veins removed, finely
- chopped (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch cast iron (or ovenproof) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Coat sides of pan with spray.
- While turkey mixture is cooking, boil water in medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add cornmeal; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cornmeal has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining ½ tsp. salt, cheese, jalapenos (if desired), and corn; mix well. Spread evenly over turkey mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and turkey mixture is bubbling. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.