I am always looking for comfort food that I can still eat when I am following my 90/10 diet.
What is the 90/10 diet? It is my way of eating that bascially means that I am following clean and healthy eating 90% of the time but I still allow myself 10% for a treat, like a glass of wine, Halo ice cream, or a beer. So if my daily caloric intake is 1200-1400 calories, I allow myself something within the 250-300 calorie range as a treat daily.
However if I know that we have a party or date night coming up, I will eat healthy all week and not have my “treats” so that when we do go to the party or have our date night I don’t have to feel guilty if I want a pizza, or burger, or something else that is completely unhealthy since I know that I have these meals built into my plan.
This way of eating also helps me not feel like I am depriving myself of things that I want. Because, who wants to feel deprived? Also, I found that if I do deprive myself of things, I then go completely over board and eat what I was craving and SO MUCH MORE. Then the guilt comes and it throws me off my cycle and it’s hard to get back on track. That is why the 90/10 lifestyle works for me.
Think it will work for you? Fill out the form Here and I will reach out to you and see how I can help!
OK, on to the Beef Stroganoff. Like I said, I love comfort food so when I can find a way to make them healthier and still within my 90/10 diet, I jump on board. Stroganoff is a Russain dish that is usually made with sour cream and pasta.
In this version, we swap out the sour cream for nonfat Greek yogurt and the pasta for whole wheat egg noodles. Both of these can found at your local grocery store.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Serves: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Portion Fix Container Count: 1/2 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1/2 tsp.
- Coconut Oil Spray
- 1 1/2 lbs. Exta Lean Beef Serloin, cut into thin strips
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Organic Beef Broth
- 1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt (or Himalayan Salt)
- 1/2 Tsp. Groud Black Pepper
- 3 oz. Whole Wheat Egg Noodles
- 3/4 Cup Non Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Finely Chopped Parsley
- Heat coconut oil spray in a large nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- Add beef, cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat more coconut oil spray in the same pan over medium high heat and then add the onions.
- Cook the onions, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook, stirring frequently for 4-6 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed
- Spray a little more coconut oil on top of the onion and mushrooms just to guarntee they won’t stick.
- Add whole wheat flour, cook, stirring frequently, until onions and mushrooms are evenly coated.
- Add broth slowly, stirring constantly. Season with Salt and Pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring ocassionally for 8-10 minutes.
- Add egg noodles. Mix well to make sure each noodle is underneath the broth. Cook covered for 6-8 minutes, or until noodles are soft. Remove from heat.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Serve garnished with Parsley.
What comfort foods do you love to make and eat? Can I help you make them healthier?