My Personal Shakeology Review and How it’s Helped me lose over 70 pounds
I started drinking Shakeology when I was 7 months pregnant with Q. I had gained 55 pounds when I was pregant with R. back in 2013 and I knew that I needed to find a healthy way to stay fit and healthy while pregant with Q.
I had tried protein shakes before in my attempt to lose weight, either for my wedding, or just to get healthy. Most of the time I hated the taste, or they would make me feel bloated and uncomfortable, and I would still be exhausted at the end of the day craving sweets.
I had heard of Beachbody before since my mom had done T25 and P90X when I was growing up, so I had known about Shakeology for awhile. However I was skeptical to try it since I had been burned by other “protein” drinks before.
However, I did a little research and discovered that Shakeology is so much more than your average protein shake. So I gave it a shot.
Now, a year and a half later I still drink my shakeology daily. I love how it makes me feel and that it has cut my sweets cravings to almost nothing. You can read about some of my favoite recipes here.
It is super simple to make and so easy for those on the go meals that every mama has. I love making it before a playdate, birthday party, or event out where I know there will be unhealthy food. It keeps me full and I can avoid all that junk food that’s placed in front of me.
Why Shakeology instead of another meal replacement?
Like I said, I had tried so many of the other protein shakes and bars. I would still be hungry and need to eat something else. I also noticed that a lot of the bars added sugar or other artificial sweeteners to their products.
Or they didn’t have the vitamins, minerals, and probiotics that Shakeology has so I just didn’t feel as good eating or drinking them.
How Does Shakeology Work?
- Does it actually work? In short, YES, but you can’t expect it to work all on its own. No shake would be able to undo bad habits. If you aren’t eating healthy or you are taking in more calories than you are burning than you won’t see a physical difference, no matter what meal replacement bar or shake you are taking. I mean it’s a good shake, but it’s not a miracle drug or pill.
- Saves you time- If you’re like me you are constantly on the go and never quite sure where the next meal will come from. It look me a long time to learn to plan and prep my meals and most weeks that doesn’t happen. So I know I can quickly blend up my shake and take it where ever I need to be.
- It’s A Full Meal Replacement– Unlike other protein shakes, Shakeology contains low-glycemic carbohydrates, fiber, and protein. Not to mention all of the added nutrient dense superfoods like Chia Meal, Maca Powder (root), Holy Basil Powder, and Kamut Grass.
- Healthiest Meal You Will Eat- I mean come on, are you eating Maca powder and Holy Basil powder at any other meal? Along with those powerful ingredients, Shakeology contains essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and over 20 different antioxidents, phytonutrients, and enzymes.
- Helps Your Body Get Rid of the Bad Stuff- I know personally I can’t eat 100% healthy all of the time, and so when I do slip up, Shakeology helps me combat some of the crap that I do eat. The power foods and and probiotics can help aid in a detox-ing effect in the body. It’s just like eating a big yummy salad with nutrient-dense toppings.
- Promotes Weight Loss– This is kind of two fold. Anytime you replace a meal with a shake that is under 200 calories, you’ll lose weight. That’s why junk-diets like Special K can work for people, but it’s not a healthy diet. I was hesitant to give up one of my meals because I am usually HANGRY by 3PM. However, after just my first shake, I can tell you it keeps you full and since it’s an easy meal to make I don’t find myself grazing as much anymore.
- Improves Digestion– In short, Shakeology can help your digestion and keep you regular. That’s not saying it will make you run to the bathroom, but it will help regulate it.
- Improved Cholesterol- My personal coach and friend had boarderline cholesterol even though she ate a pretty clean diet. The year she started drinking Shakeology daily, she went to get tested and her doctor said her cholesterol was perfect, after only 3 months of drinking it.
What is the Difference in Vegan Shakeology and Regular Shakeology?
The vegan formula is made of pea protein which is supposed to be easier on the stomach for some. I personally drink the vegan chocolate because I found that it gave Q. less gas when I was nursing. It’s also Vegan Friendly.
The regular formula is whey based. I have tried both the vegan and regular flavors and I don’t really tell the difference in flavor between them.
One thing that kills me is when someone says that Shakeology is just like any other protein shake. I know how un-filling a protein shake is and how it can bloat me up. We NEED high quality ingredients and balance to our diet no matter if we are drinking a shake or eating a full meal.
Isolated Whey Protein
It does have protein in it, but your body needs protein. As we age, our muscle mass declines. The easily-absorbed protein helps to build and maintain muscle mass, and if you are working out it can help with soreness. I personally use an additional supplement after my strength workouts though.
The blood sugar is also steady due to this ingredient which also helps us feel full and reduce cravings. The protein also contains essential amino acids, which are responsible for the increased cognitive focus. The protein in Shakeology is also antibiotic and BST free.
Phytonutrients have antioxidant properties. Just like our skin, we need to be able to fight free radical damage and promote a healthy immune system. These nutrients help combat degenerative conditions because of the antioxidants.
Prebiotics & Digestive Enzymes
We’ve all heard about pre and probiotics and how they are the good bacteria for our guts. This is why may people with IBS and other digestive issues have such good results while drinking it.
23 Vitamins and Minerals
While I aim to get my vitamins and minerals through food, this is a great way to get in quality-grade supplements. Even if you’re eating well the rest of the day, due to the processing of our foods we may not get all of the nutrition from it. This is just a way to help us get in the proper nutrition our body craves.
Is Shakeology Gluten Free?
“Shakeology is not certified gluten free. Although Shakeology is made with gluten-free ingredients, Shakeology formulas are in a manufacturing facility that also processes known alergens such as soy, milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, and wheat (gluten) ingredients. While our manufacturing procedures follows strict, required FDA Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), which include immediate cleaning and breaking down of equipment after every production batch and proper air filtration systems as precautionary measures, the possibity of cross-contamination can never be 100% eliminated, therefore we are required by the FDA, to include a warning that addresses this.
Individuals with gluten concerns should consult with their doctors before consuming any supplements.”
Keep in mind- that this shake contains a ton of high-quality nutrient dense foods. It doesn’t taste bad but don’t expect it to taste like cookies and cream or cake either. Out of all the flavors, my favorite is the Vegan Chocolate.
Using a blender, play with recipes and consistency, and drinking it in a shaker cup has helped me look forward to my shake everday for a year and a half.
Luckily they keep expanding the number of flavors that are all delicious. The Whey option (Regular) comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, cafe latte, and greenberry. The Vegan option made of pea protein comes in chocolate, vanilla, tropical strawerry and cafe latte.
My favorite flavor is the vegan chocolate. The cafe latte is my least favorite, but only because I’m not a HUGE coffee flavor person. When I do drink my coffee I like it very light and very sweet, but if you like coffee flavor you will love the cafe latte.
When do I need to drink it?
Whenever you want! I like to do it for etiher my lunch or afternoon snack. But I have also done it for an on the go breakfast or dinner when I just don’t feel like cooking or don’t have the time.
Who is it for?
Anyone. I have gotten both my mother and my mother in law drinking it. They both saw my amazing results and decided to try it for themselves.
Does it get old drinking the SAME thing everyday?
It can. I like to play with the different flavors and recipes to keep it fresh. Once you try the sample pack you can get idea of the flavors you like. Then they do offere the packets with different flavor combinations in the boxes, so you don’t have to drink the same flavor everyday.
I’ve read that this isn’t a lifestyleand/or it’s a sales gimmick.
For me, Shakeology is part of my lifestyle. I eat 3-5 meals a day depending on the day and workout I’m doing. It’s not like I’m drinking 180 calories a day and thats it. Have a simple meal in there keeps me same when meal prepping. I also don’t recommend doing more than 1 shake a day. Girls gotta eat!! If you are wanting quick results look at adding in a healthy diet and a 30 minute workout like the 21 day Fix with Shakeology.
Before writing this post and starting to drink Shakeology, I did some research on other reviews. I get that it’s an investment, but as you read negative reviews… also check out what ELSE they are promoting. Out of the negative reviews, I on;y read 1 that wasn’t pushing another shake at the end that they just happened to be an affiliate for. Yes, I’m a coach and sharing my story, but the bottom line is – you have to find what works for you.
You also get a money back guarntee so if you don’t like it, you just mail back the empty bag (save on shipping) and they’ll give you a refund.
Is that ALL you eat for a meal?
Yes, but like I said I eat 3-5 small meals a day and I will usually use one of the recipes that is linked above.
Should I check with my doctor first?
That’s a personal decision. You probably didn’t ask about the chinese food you ate the other night, but since this shake does have a lot of ingredients it doesn’t hurt to ask. Your doctor may be able to tell you if you could expect to see Shakeology side effects with any medicines you’re taking.
Shakeology is pricey compared to a Walmart-level shake. It’s more than a high-quality protein powder at GNC. And they’re a network marketing company. Why is the world is it $4 a serving?!?
It’s because you’re getting in that high-quality protein plus the ingredients I mentioned above. Since Shakeology has your vitamins and minerals in it in a less processed way than a pill, I have even stopped taking my multi-vitamin.
So when you break down the ingredients plus how much you typically spend on a full meal each day, $4 a serving is very reasonable if you are a health conscious person. It’s about like buying organic apples at Whole Foods at a premium.
I love a good deal, especially when I started drinking it we were living on one income. So while Shakeology is $129.95, you can chose to do a challenge pack starting at $140.
A Challenge Pack contains:
- a full bag of Shakeology
- a full workout program (or ALL of them if you go with the All Access Pass)
- usually a Shakeology shaker cup
- discounted shipping
I don’t kow why you wouldn’t do that option considering Beachbody’s workouts typically start at $60
Have you tried Shakeology before? What did you think?
I love Tony Horton, so I’ll leave you with this little funny video