The first time I thought about making this dish I was skeptical. I love Jambalaya and so to make it healthy, I was worried it would loose the flavor, but OH MY GOODNESS!! This dish was a HUGE success and packed full of flavor and spice.
Go light on the cajun seasoning if you don’t like to much heat in your food cause this baby was SPICY and I loved it. My hubby has even requested it 3 weeks in a row, now that’s saying something!!!
- Coconut Oil Spray
- 2 ribs Celery, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb. Turkey Sausage, I use the Jenny-O type
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 (14oz can) crushed tomatoes, Sun of Italy brand has no added ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups Uncooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp. thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (less is you don’t like spice)
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your onion, red, orange, and yellow peppers.
- Heat up your pan with coconut oil spray and then add in your chopped veggies
- Cook veggies until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 mintues
- Add in the chicken and turkey sausage. I had originally cut the sausage into round but they broke up as I was cooking. If you want to precook your sauage you can, but you don’t have to .
- Cook the sausage and chicken until the middle of the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, rice, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to meadium-low and cover, simmering for about 25-30 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the rice is tender, add in the shrimp and stir.
- The shrimp will cook in about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and add more seasonings to taste.
I measure out a cup and a half, and count this as 1 RED, 1 YELLOW and 1 GREEN.