I know, I know. I have a TON of Mexican recipes, but thats because I am part Mexican (on my mother’s side) and I grew up eating this type of food 2-3 times a week.
So, when I started eating clean, I knew I couldn’t give up my Mexican food. I would have to find a way to make it healthy.
This dish is fantastic because not only are you making your own fanstastic enchilada sause, but the corn tortillas become soft almost melt in your mouth after you bake it all togeher.
This one does take some time to put together, but if you prep your chicken, or ground turkey ahead of time it take one less step out.
- 3 chicken breast (shredded) or 2 lbs. Ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatos (no salt added) DO NOT drain
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 10 corn tortilla (I prefer the white ones, but the yellow are good too)
- Coconut oil spray
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 tsp sea salt.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. I usually prep my ground turkey or chicken ahead of time so when I am ready to make these I have my protein already cooked. I like to lay out my ground turkey, cheese, and corn tortillas like an assembly line. This makes it easy to wrap each enchillada.
2. Place 4-5 tortillas wrapped in a wet paper towel in the microwave for 30 second to get them soft. This way they won’t rip when you roll them up.
3. Place 1/2 Red container of chicken or turkey and 1/2 blue container of cheese on the tortilla. Then roll the tortilla up and place it in the container.
4. Roll each tortilla and place it in a pregreesed pan. I did a few more when I was making this dish because my family just loves these and I was going to use them as my dinners for the week.
6. Add in your tomatoes, salsa, and stevia. Simmer for about 5 minutes to let the flavors mesh together.
7. Turn off the heat and add in your greek yogurt, stir to combine.
8. Add the sauce mixture into the blender and blend until smooth.
9. Pour the sauce over the rolled enchiladas and add the rest of the cheese on top.
10. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
My hubby and R. like it with a little sour cream, but I think they are just fantastic just the way they are.
If you are following 21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1 YELLOW, 1 BLUE for TWO enchiladas.