Finding the right supplements is a tedious and frustrating process. I’ve been using Beachbody Performance Supplements for a few months now.
I wanted to share what I’ve found. I definitely have some favorite and least favorites. I’ll also dig into FAQs and pricing on the performance line
I was attracted to the Beachbody Performance Supplements because:
- It’s a simple to use and follow system
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or perservatives
- Helps with energy and focus
- NSF certified (meaning it’s undergone more tests than other supplements)
- It lessens muscle soreness after a workouts
I was so tired of being sore from my workouts. I was following my nutrition plans, eating right away, and had even tried some of my husband’s supplements; but I was still walking funny days after leg day.
If something could make chasing my babies around easier and give me better results during my workouts— Why not try it?
My Beachbody Performance Supplements Review
While I’ll outline the whole line, I only use Energize, Recover, and Recharge daily. I will also mix in Hydrate during a really long cardio or strength day.
I tried samples of each and researched before buying, and Energize, Recover and Recharge made the most sense for me. Recharge I will only drink when I have lifted very heavy that day, and Creatine just didn’t make sense for me.
You may find that 1 or 2 products from Beachbody Performance Supplements work best for you.
These Supplements Work for Any Exercise Program– not just Beachbody Workouts
I have friends that use Hydrate for long hikes or soccer games. I have also used Energize before a long run or class at the gym.
Performance Line Details
Out of the 5 supplements I’ll look at, Energize and Hydrate are the only two vegan-friendly options. They aren’t certified vegan, but they don’t contain any animal products. They also weren’t processed using animal products according to Beachbody. The NSF also does unannounced checks to check ingredients.
Energize- Your Pre-Workout Supplement
Energize is my favorite!! It really helps me push harder during a workout without feeling jittery or sick. You may feel a little tingle from it from the beta-alanine in it, but that’s about it. I have taken other pre-workouts that made my heart race and skin crawl, so this was something I was happy to not experience with Energize.
The ingredients in it are fewer than other pre-workout supplements, which I like. While I’m not a chemist, I figure the fewer the better. The three key ingredients are beta-alanine, low-dose caffeine, and quercetin.
Beta-alanine is an amino acid that help reduce lactic acid build up in your muscles. The caffeine helps your focus and reaction time. The quercetin is a phytonutrient that helps with endurance and muscle fatigue.
All you do is mix 1-2 scoops (depending on height and weight) with 8-16oz of water. Shake and drink 15-30 minutes before your workout. I find that it only takes about 5-10 to kick in for me, but once I feel those tingles, I know I’m ready to go.
It’s lemon flavored. It’s a little tart, but it tastes better than other pre-workout supplements I’ve tried.
- Increases energy and endurance
- helps you focus and quickens your reaction time
- allows you to do more- more reps, get deeper, run faster, etc.
- delays exercise induced muscle fatigue
Hydrate- During a Long Workout
This is great for athletes, long-distance bikers, or runners, or anyone staying at a high level of activity for a long period of time. I also put a little in R.’s water bottle when she plays soccer outside on a hot day to make sure she stays hydrated.
It helps replace electrolytes during your workout, and that also helps give your muscles what they need to improve your endurance.
The citrus drink is supposed to be the ideal balance of carbohydrates, water, and electrolytes in an optimal concentration for better absorption.
It contains a blend of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium so your energy can stay up and you can feel better during a tough workout.
It also has quercetin and natural sugars from low-carb options.
You mix one scoop, shake, and drink during your workout.
It’s a light citrus flavor. Some reviews say it sits lighter than water, but really it just tastes good to me. It’s not bitter, but it’s not overly sweet either. It is very refreshing when you are pushing really hard during your workouts.
- Helps your stay hydrated during your workout
- hydration helps you feel better in a workout
- Boosts endurance
- Replaces electrolytes lost during exercise
Recover- Post Workout
This is one that I just love to talk about. It has helped my muscle soreness more that other protein drinks. I love both flavors but I have clients who prefer the chocolate.
It’s designed to help with muscle recovery, reduce exercise- induced muscle soreness, and speed up the return of normal muscle function. It also promotes lean muscle synthesis to give your muscles what they need to grow and recover which reduced muscle soreness. So you’ll continue to see it work as you continue to workout and get stronger.
It contains pomegranate extract, protein and branch-chain amino acids (BCAAs). It’s also the ideal ratio of amino acids to support rebuilding your muscles.
Just take 1 scoop within 30 minutes after your workouts. Mix 1 scoop with 8-16oz of water.
This is the best tasting supplement out of the line. It comes in orange and chocolate. It’s smooth and creamy. The chocolate tastes like a true chocolate, and the orange tastes like an orange creamsicle.
- shortens recovery time of muscles
- reduces exercise-induced muscle soreness
- promotes lean muscle growth
- reduces muscle breakdown
Recharge- Take at Bedtime
Recharge is your bedtime nightcap. It helps to repair your muscles and reduce muscle breakdown. Even if you aren’t actively lifting weights- your muscles do get used everyday and can start to break down. So even if you are doing cardio or a low impact program, Recharge can be a great addition to your supplements. It tastes like vanilla.
It contains tart cherry to help with soreness. Also, the slow-release micellar casein an BCAAs in it helped to support overnight recovery and build stronger muscle mass.
Just take it one hour before bed.
It’s vanilla flavored and tastes good. It does take a little more shaking to become smooth like Recover. It’s not chunky or gritty though. It’s a tad sweeter than the rest. Maybe it’s the cherry in it?
- helps muscle recovery
- reduces exercise-induced muscle soreness & breakdown
- promotes lean muscle growth
The last product from the performance line is creatine. It’s a flavorless and an add-on to your recover supplement.
It doesn’t overly bloat you like other brands, and it can help with resistance training and high-intensity interval workouts.
I also use Shakeology daily. You can read my review of Shakeology here.
If you are enjoying this post, you might also like: Beachbody On Demand: Stream over 700 different workouts right to your home.
Beachbody Performance Supplements Line FAQ
- Is this going to bulk me up? We are sure people will have their own thoughts, but in short- no. Even with supplements promoting lean muscle mass, you aren’t going to beef up. You’ll build lean muscles which speeds up the metabolism- making you leaner.
- Also, if you are looking to increase your cardio workouts, these supplements can help your endurance. On the other hand, if you are lifting heavy weights, you’ll see the lean muscle and have less muscle soreness.
- Basically, all 5 supplements feed the body right. I’ve had more energy for my daily workout, heightened endurance, and less muscle soreness.
- Should I only use this with heavy strength training? These work so well with any workout. You can do the whole line or choose the ones that benefits match your goals the best.
- Can I still do Shakeology? Yes! Shakeology is more of a whole foods meal replacement versus a traditional supplement to fuel a workout. You just don’t want to mix in your Shakeology with the other supplements for max results. For example, you can do Shakeology for breakfast, Energize and Hydrate before and during your workouts, and the Recover after your workout.
- Is this really going to make a difference? I can tell you from personal experience that I can push harder with Energize, and my muscle soreness is much shorter with Recharge and Recover.
- How do they taste without sweeteners? Honestly?!? Really good!!
- Why are they $50 or more? If you bundle all 4, you pay $50 for each. It can be a lot to invest at first, but after visiting a local supplement shop- $50 a piece was actually cheaper than their non-NSF products. Plus, each line they carried wasn’t a full system.
But it’s an MLM company!!
Beachbody is, in fact, an MLM. I knew it going in. I’m a coach But don’t you think an MLM has a stricter guideline and reputation to protect than some random brand you picked up at GNC?
I think some have a program with the MLM setup, but the products shouldn’t be justified one way or another on that factor alone. I suggest looking at the products, trying them, and deciding for yourself.
Some have also said- the Performance Line costs more because of the MLM structure. I haven’t found this to be true when comparing similar brands. They are competitive with other high-quality ingredient brands.
How to Try Beachbody’s Performance Line
You can choose to start with the sampler and then add on as you want. All of the options below come with a 30-day money back guarantee, too!
All the links will bring you to an order page with Chocolate Recover, if you would like the Orange Recover please let me know and I can send you the links for that.